Saturday, September 28, 2013

Drawings. Mount Olive College. 2006-07.



This diptych drawing is of artist Andy Goldsworthy.  In the assignment, we were given artist to research by our instructor and come up with something based off of them and/or there work. I had never heard of Goldsworthy before, but was deeply impressed by his work. He makes environmental sculptures with found natural objects in the surrounding area. The sculptures breakdown over time and return to the natural state. He is worth some investigation if you haven't seen it. The two drawings are mixed media; ink, pencil, charcoal and chalk. I incorporated Goldsworthy and various works of his to create the drawing.  



This drawing is of I-Earthquake. He was the first person know in the Americas to have his name recorded. His name loosely translates as "born the year after the earthquake." I was inspired to do this drawing after reading about him in the book 1491 about pre-European history in the Americas. Along with his imagined portrait, I included corn/maze, Coca-Cola bottles, classic cars, skyscrapers, and cell phnes, creating a sort of  Tower of Babel. I also incorporated the pictograph of I-Earthquake from the historic record.  The record was created by an enemy of this ancient warrior and it actually records his death.










"The Trial of Sacco and Vanzetti."  I have been fascinated with this infamous duo and their trial since I first read about it in middle school. Often described as a great injustice of the American court system,  Sacco and Vanzetti's story should be taught more in American  history classes. In the image I included a famous portrait of the two hand-cuffed together, their death masks, an electric chair, and a courtroom scene. In the courtroom there are faceless jury members and jackal lawyers, as well as a gavel an evidence. The men were immigrants from Italy and worked as fish mongers. This is why I gave them fish halos. This drawing is made in blue and regular pencil.



No comments:

Post a Comment