Saturday, September 28, 2013

Abstract Series (1). 2009-2010.

"Apex or Blessing"



"Promise Garden"

"Poem 2"

"This House is Cold,  But I Will Start a Fire"

"Unrequited"
  These paintings were made during a creative burst in 2009. I made around 60 or more similar paintings in a span of about three months. Each one was more complex and a learning experience. These are some of the early-mid period works from those three months.
   I hadn't really painted much in the year and a half prior. I had graduated from college, applied to a couple of graduate schools, and was just working. I didn't get into grad school and ended up buying a comic book store. I felt a great need to make art again, so I began to paint. I wanted to do something new and challenging. I began to experiment  with  pure abstraction and heavy color use, both of which were new to me.
    These paintings made me think about color, shape, and form in a new and more complex way. I put to use what I had learned in art school and in the process, I became a painter, not just someone who draws with paint. People have responded positively to this series and I worked on it for about a two years. Now, whenever I am in a spot, or need to clear my artistic mind, I will go back to working on a painting in this style to get me back on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment